Welcome back! I hope everyone had a restful and relaxing March Break. I most certainly did – I enjoyed a very relaxing (dare I even say well-deserved) trip to Jamaica.
Today was a busy day. We started term three! We had a recap lesson in math to cover what we already know about fractions, began talking about biodiversity, and started our literature circles for Hatchet. Forms for student-led conferences were sent home today; the site goes live on Thursday morning at 10:00 a.m. Packages for the spring fundraiser taking place next week were also sent home today.
A couple of quick reminders:
· Tomorrow is a Day 3.
· Permission forms for the rock climbing trip at the end of April are due this Friday, March 29th.
· Aftercare invoices were due on March 15th; if you are unsure if you have any owing amount, please email Ms. Chiappetta at firstname.lastname@example.org
· Re-registration is now open to the public; if you have not submitted your package – please do so as soon as possible and reach out with any questions.
Gym – The students started the day doing gym with Mr. Orr, which you can read about on his blog (http://tysonorr.blogspot.com).
We had a discussion regarding expectations for term three and the work we can be expecting.
Music – Then, we had music with Mr. Oliver, which you can read about on his blog (https://mrolivermusicclass.blogspot.com).
French – In the afternoon, we had French with Mme. Rawan, which you can read about on her blog (https://mmerawansja.blogspot.com).
Inquiry into Math – We reviewed what we already know about fractions today (what we learned before the break). We discussed equivalent fractions, improper & mixed fractions (how to convert from one to the other), and comparing fractions. Tomorrow, we will be learning how to properly add fractions.
Inquiry into Biodiversity – We began discussing biodiversity. We did a KWL chart for biodiversity to review what we know and what we want to know.
Inquiry into Language – We started our literature circles for term three. We read the first chapter of Hatchet together. Literature circles for Hatchet will be similar to the ones we did for Shannen with 2 brand new roles.
1. Summariser – Summarise the three chapters for the week.
2. Connector – Connect what is happening in the text to your own life, current world events, and other books, movies, or television shows.
3. Literary Critic – Choose a short passage from the book and analyse why it is important to the story.
4. Discussion Moderator – Come up with questions to fuel a group discussion.
5. Word Wizard – Define and explain new or interesting words.
Literature circles from Shannen were given back today as well to give students an understanding of what they did well on and any areas of improvement. Literature circles are to be completed independently by students as it is intended for them to show their own learning and understanding of the literature.
· Fractions review (due tomorrow)
· Biodiversity title page – draw (due tomorrow)
· Literature circles week 1 (due Friday)
· Spelling lesson 24 (due Friday)
· Practice for spelling bee
· Rock climbing forms due Friday
· Pick-a-time forms sent home
· Spring Fundraiser money due Thursday
All homework for the day is placed here, but time may have been given in class to complete this work.
As always, please feel free to reach out to me with any questions or concerns by email, and I will respond as quickly as possible.